Oklahoma City grew out of what was once known as “the Unassigned Lands,” territory that was not assigned to a particular Native American tribe during the forced relocation of the late 1800s. Following great land claim of 1889, Oklahoma City was soon on its way to becoming a major center of commerce. Statehood was granted in 1907 and several years later the capital was moved from Guthrie to Oklahoma City. It was at this same time that Charles Francis Colcord, a former U.S. Marshal and prominent businessman, erected Oklahoma City's first skyscraper. Having witnessed the devastation of the great San Francisco earthquake, Colcord instructed architect William Wells that his project must be constructed of reinforced concrete. The twelve-story historic Colcord Hotel building opened in 1910 as a luxury office building, equipped with every modern convenience. Gleaming marble, ornate brass elevators and intricate plasterwork added to the elegant ambience and have been magnificently restored in homage to Colcord’s original vision.