Green Park Inn
The Blowing Rock – The Blowing Rock is an immense cliff 4,000 feet above sea level, overhanging Johns River Gorge 3,000 feet below. The phenomenon is called so because the rocky walls of the gorge form a flume through which the northwest wind sweeps with such force that it returns light objects cast over the void.
The current of air flowing upward from The Rock prompted the Ripley's "Believe-It-Or-Not" cartoon about "the only place in the world where snow falls upside down." With spectacular views of the gorge and mountains it is the state’s oldest tourist attraction dating to 1933.
Rumple Memorial Church – Built on the site of the original 1888 church which was damaged by lightening and then rebuilt in 1912, the Rumple Church is a beautiful stone structure, parts of which are made of stone from an abandoned moonshine still, and is still the home of Blowing Rock’s Presbyterian community.
Tweetsie Railroad - Opened in 1957, Tweetsie Railroad began as an excursion train ride aboard steam locomotive #12, the only surviving narrow-gauge engine of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad (ET&WNC). Built in 1917, the coal-fired locomotive was used to haul passengers and freight over the ET&WNC's 66-mile (106.2 km) line running from Johnson City over the Appalachian Mountains to Boone, North Carolina.
After a portion of the ET&WNC ceased operations in 1950, the locomotive was owned or optioned by several individuals and groups including actor Gene Autry. Ultimately, a Blowing Rock entrepreneur purchased the locomotive and developed and opened the Tweetsie Railroad attraction. Tweetsie Railroad quickly became a popular tourist attraction, and evolved into one of the nation's first theme parks.
Moses Cone Estate – Moses Cone, one of the South’s great industrialists built a textile empire ultimately named Cone Mills and was responsible for the invention of the textile, denim. An early environmentalist, Cone built the estate to included hundreds of acres of orchards, and created a self-sufficient estate raising its own sheep, hogs, chicken, and milking cows, enough that some milk was sold commercially. After his untimely death, the property first transferred to the Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital in Greensboro, NC. The estate, including its elegant Manor House, known as Flat Top Manor, was conveyed to the National Park Service as a recreational area and public park in 1949.
Julian Price Lake and Park – Built by the one time President of the Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company, Julian Price Park consists of 4200 acres of forest, lake, streams, and meadows. Long captivated by the beauty and grandure of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Price envisioned building a mountain retreat for his company’s employees. An early conservationist, Cone Mills intended to limit the development on the estate, and to allow native species of trees, which had been decimated through early logging, to begin to replenish themselves. Donated to the Federal Government in 1952 by Price’s children, and maintained by the National Park Service, that replenishment is now well underway. The park offers trout fishing (catch and release) in season, miles of hiking and walking trails, as well as serene picnic areas surrounded by creeks and meadows. Horseback riding is available by reservation.
Grandfather Mountain – The mountain was and still is best known for its mile-high swinging bridge, the highest in America, built in 1952 by Hugh Morton. The bridge links two of the mountain's rocky peaks, and is known as the "swinging" bridge due to its tendency to sway in high winds. On September 29, 2008, North Carolina agreed to purchase 2,600 acres of the undeveloped portions of Grandfather Mountain from the Morton family. The area has been added to the North Carolina State Park system, becoming the 34th North Carolina state park. The Morton family established the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation to continue to operate the travel destination as an educational nature park.
Linn Cove Viaduct - The Viaduct is a 1243-foot concrete segmental bridge which snakes around the slopes of Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina. It was completed in 1983 at a cost of $10 million and was the last section of the Blue Ridge Parkway to be finished. It is said to be the most complicated concrete bridge ever built. The National Park Service maintains a visitor center and bridge museum at the south end of the viaduct. The Tanawha Trail passes by the Linn Cove Visitor Center, and it travels beside and underneath the viaduct, on its route from Beacon Heights to Julian Price Memorial Park.
Blowing Rock Art & History Museum - The museum is a non-profit organization located on Chestnut Street in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Its mission is to promote visual arts and history and to celebrate the rich heritage of the mountains. Organized in 1999, in response to a generous offer of Elliott Daingerfield artwork, the museum was incorporated in January 2001, and received its 501(c)3 non-profit status from the IRS in May 2002. It opened to the public in October 2011.