Hotel La Rose
In the mid 1800s, Santa Rosa became a focal point for many travelers who had headed west in search of gold. While passing through the valley, they discovered that the area’s rich soils proved to be more profitable than panning for shiny nuggets, and many settled down. The landmark town was connected by railroad in 1870, helping to increase the area tenfold over the next seven years.
Santa Rosa flourished, and at the turn of the 20th century, Italian masonries were hired to erect a railroad depot, a church, a library and a hotel. In 1907, using locally quarried stone, they completed the four-story Hotel La Rose. Today, the corridors are still lined with the original wainscoting and the staircase from the San Francisco Cable Car Barn enhances the historic lobby.