The early days of the historic Hotel Metro, when it was constructed in 1937, housed businesses and offices in downtown Milwaukee, which was a thriving retail area. The historic Art Deco landmark was constructed by the architectural firm Eschweiler and Eschweiler and upon its completion, it was the first building in Milwaukee to offer full central air conditioning.
The Hotel Metro was purchased in 1996 by James Hummert, John Ogden, and John Wolter. They re-imagined the hotel under the guidance of the late Madame Liane Kuony, who was renowned for her design and culinary expertise. Madame Kuony styled the hotel to have an Art Moderne interior, softer than the more aggressive Art Deco style of the 1930s, and oversaw each and every aspect of the redecoration and redesign in order to make her vision a reality.
Today, this historic boutique hotel offers its guests both luxury and sustainability. Tile and carpeting are made with recycled glass and plastics and many of the curtains and fabrics were designed with organic cotton. Guests who choose the Hotel Metro are also choosing to minimize their carbon footprint.