Lancaster Arts Hotel
The city of Lancaster ranks as America’s oldest inland city. Originally known as Hickory Town, the area was settled by German immigrants in 1709. In 1729, it became the county seat and was renamed Lancaster in honor of Lancaster, England. Lancaster was an important munitions center during the Revolutionary War and served as the capital of Pennsylvania from 1799 until 1812. During the 19th century, tobacco replaced wheat as the area’s major cash crop. In 1881, New York businessman Arnold Falk purchased a plot of land in downtown Lancaster hoping to capitalize on the area’s thriving tobacco industry. He erected a 3½-story red brick tobacco warehouse within just a few short months of purchasing the land. At the time, Lancaster was a booming industrial city, thanks in part to its fertile surroundings and abundant farmland. Falk soon went on to ventures elsewhere, but the structure remained standing vacant for decades. The hotelwas nominated for a citywide preservation award in 2007 and has spurred a redevelopment of the surrounding district. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.