Lord Baltimore Hotel
Named for George Calvert, Lord Baltimore and founder of the Maryland colony, the Lord Baltimore Hotel was the last high-rise building to be erected with classical ornamentation in downtown Baltimore. At the time of its construction in 1928, the 23-story building was the largest hotel in the state. Its splendid two-story lobby offered a gracious welcome with stately columns, brass accents and comfortable appointments.
Today, guests still enjoy lingering in the lobby area, whether for an impromptu meeting or a quick cup of coffee. The hotel’s numerous guestrooms have been renovated to provide a level of comfort unknown in the 1920s, including the latest in high-tech amenities. The Calvert Ballroom, one of the city’s most popular event spaces, is enhanced with Waterford crystal chandeliers and a series of murals that highlight scenes from Baltimore’s history.