Newagen Seaside Inn
The area of Southport was first settled by English fishermen in the 1600s but these early inhabitants were soon wiped out by the Indian Wars. Scottish and Irish settlers next discovered the rugged coast and abundant waters. The community relied heavily upon the industries of brick making, farming, ice cutting and ship building. The origins of Newagen Seaside Inn date to the last century and by 1904 it was a popular resort destination. The inn was owned by the Brooks Family when in 1943 it burned to the ground. Within three months, the property had been rebuilt in the Colonial Revival style and has warmly welcomed guests to the coast of Maine for over 60 years.