1841 – John Hampden Randolph and Emily Jane Liddell Randolph moved to Louisiana from Mississippi to farm cotton.
1844 – Randolph mortgaged his home and 46 slaves, borrows money to construct first steam-powered sugar mill in Iberville Parish
1855 – Randolphs purchased 1,020 acres of land on the Mississippi River, for what became their future castle. John contracted renown New Orleans architect Henry Howard to design the white mansion for his wife and 11 children.
1859 – Construction of Nottoway completed, Randolphs moved into the grand mansion.
1863 – Oldest Randolph son, Algernon Sidney, died in Civil War Battle at Vicksburg. Nottoway was fired upon by Northern gunboats, a column was hit with grapeshot. Mrs. Randolph forced to give an Oath of Loyalty to the Union in as condition to keep Nottoway.
1867 – John Randolph requested and was granted pardon by President Andrew Jackson for supporting the confederacy.
1871 – John Randolph continued sugar cane farming, owned nearly 10,000 acres.
1875 – Abolition of slavery and depressed economy caused Randolph to downsize, reduced farm land to 400 acres of highland and 620 acres of swampland.
1879 – Randolph’s holdings reduced to 800 acres at Nottoway.
1883 – John Randolph died, leaves everything to his wife, Emily Jane.
1886 – At the age of 71, Emily decided to sell her beloved home; New Orleans natives V.B Dugas and Desire Landry purchased Nottoway for $50,000. Mrs. Randolph divided the money equally among the surviving children and herself.
1899 – Nottoway sold for $100,000
1904 – Emily Randolph died at the home of her son, John, Jr., in nearby Baton Rouge.
1909 – Sold again to another partnership for $63,000.
1913 – Dr. Whyte Owen of White Castle bought Nottoway at a sheriff’s sale for $54,000.
1980 – Mrs. Odessa Owen, Dr. Owen’s daughter-in-law, sold Nottoway to Arlin Dease for $270,000, with stipulation that she could live in the house until her death. In July Nottoway’s doors were opened for the first time to the public for touring. Mr. Dease transformed the plantation home into a bed & breakfast, special events and tourist venue.
1985 - Sir Paul Ramsey of Australia purchased Nottoway from Arlin Dease. Sir Ramsey is Nottoway’s current owner.
2003 – Randolphs’ remains transferred from Blythewood cemetery to private cemetery on the Grounds of Nottoway.
2008 – Nottoway closed July 1 – December 31, for total restoration of mansion’s interior and exterior. New clay tile roof was installed, plumbing was removed from the exterior and placed inside of the walls, interior walls and exterior cypress siding repainted, new individual air-conditioning and heating units installed in each room, baths totally remodeled with period fixtures and accessories, all bedding and window treatments were replaced with new period fabrics and embellishments. Basement transformed into full service restaurant, old warming kitchen became Le Café. Extensive landscaping, walkways and directional signage was installed. Two cottage buildings added for four additional overnight units, bridal dressing room and salon facilities added, 60 ft by 60 ft pavilion constructed.
2009 – Phase I of the New Nottoway Plantation re-opened for business, installed new management team, created new hotel standards, policies and procedures. Introduced new business plan to reflect change in direction to historical destination resort, began national and international marketing and public relations campaign.
2010 - Hired new General Manager to develop, market and manage four revenue segments: Hotel, Tours, Events and Restaurant. Planning for Phase II of expansion began.
2011 – January - Construction began on Phase II, including seven additional cottage buildings, two-story hotel building, new banquet and meeting facility, lounge and fitness room and tennis courts. Construction was completed in June; 14 additional cottage rooms and nine hotel rooms went online, Cypress Ballroom available for booking banquets and meetings.