Ojai Valley Inn & Spa
In 1923, Edward Drummond Libbey, a wealthy Ohio glass manufacturer and philanthropist, commissioned California architect Wallace Neff to build the Ojai Country Club in the Spanish Colonial architectural style. From its earliest days, guests felt the Inn was an escape, a sequestered yet sophisticated getaway that gave them the sense of being on their own private country estate. And ever since 1937, when Frank Capra used the sweeping mountain vistas of the valley as Shangri-La in his film Lost Horizon, the valley has become synonymous with mystical beauty and hidden enchantment. A different kind of notoriety distinguished the inn in 1942 when it was transformed into Camp Oak for a military training center for the Army, and later for the U.S. Navy, which used the grounds for a rest and recuperation facility.
Ever since returning to private ownership in 1947, the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa has played host to countless celebrities from nearby Hollywood and an impressive roster of golf pros who return year after year to play the historic course. In 1999, the acclaimed golf course was restored, which included the return of two "lost" signature holes. In 2004, an extensive renovation was completed which upgraded every corner of the resort while maintaining the historical integrity of the property.