The Southernmost House is located in the Upper Duval district of Key West, a location popular with locals and tourists alike. It was constructed in 1896 for $250,000 as a private residence for a local judge. That judge married into a prominent Florida family who was responsible for building eight mansions within the Key West Historic District.
Though it was designed as a one-bedroom mansion, it boasted public rooms, two story balconies, and even full electricity. It was converted into a Cuban nightclub in 1939 after serving as an illegal speakeasy through the 1930s. From 1949 to 1996, it was returned to its original use as a private residence. In 1996, it was restored to its original style and converted to an 18-room hotel.