The Colony Hotel
The Ocean Bluff Hotel was built in Kennebunkport, Maine in 1873, but unfortunately burned down in 1898 during a rampant fire that destroyed other buildings in the area as well. Sixteen years later, in 1914, a hotel called The Breakwater Court was built, designed by architect John Calvin Stevens.
In 1935, the Boughton family purchased the Colony Hotel in Delray Beach in Florida. In 1947, George Boughton purchased The Breakwater Court and changed the name to The Colony Hotel to complement their Florida property. The Colony Hotel in Kennebunkport, Maine opened for business in the summer of 1948. Back then, having complementary north and south hotels with only partial season opening was the norm for historic hotels as guests could escape south for the winter and north to spend the summers on the Atlantic Ocean.
In 1954, The Glen Haven Hotel was purchased, absorbed by The Colony Hotel and is now known as the East House.