The Partridge Inn
The Partridge Inn began as a two-story house, built in 1816. The home originally belonged to George Walton, the governor of Georgia and one of the state's three signers of the Declaration of Independence. The home was later acquired by Daniel and Elizabeth Meigs, who came to Augusta from Connecticut. The history of the current building dates back to 1836 when it was originally constructed as a private residence called Three Oaks for the Meigs family. In 1892, New York hotelier, Morris Partridge purchased Three Oaks to serve as his personal home as well as operate as a small hotel by offering guest accommodations in the old Meigs house during Augusta’s winter season.
The business venture proved successful, and he opened The Partridge Inn, a 60-room upscale hotel on January 8, 1910. Over the years, between 1907 and 1929, he expanded the inn several times.
After the Great Depression, the inn became a year-round commercial hotel. The sterling reputation of the hotel was proven when city officials chose it as the site of a special gala for then President Warren G. Harding in 1923. The Augusta Chronicle dubbed the gala as "the greatest banquet in (Augusta's) history." After the decline of travel during the Great Depression, the hotel had different owners for the next few decades and was converted to long-term residences for most of the 60s and 70s. In the late 1980’s, the Partridge Inn reopened as both a historic landmark and a renovated luxury hotel. It is three miles from the Broad Street Historic District and four four miles from Augusta National Golf Club.
The hotel, located within the bounds of the Summerville Historic District, is also known for its unique architecture. The National Park Service, through its tax credit program, recognized the important historic value of the “P. I.” , as its known to locals. Among the many elements preserved were the brick wing, airy verandas, Craftsman elements, and multiple levels within any given floor.
Historic Hotels of America toll-free reservations number (800) 678-8946