The Smith House
In 1895, Captain Frank Waylon Hall purchased an acre of land east of the town of Dahlonega. While building on the land, he discovered it to have a rich vein of gold ore. After the town did not allow him to set up a mining operation to excavate the gold, he decided to build his house around the original gold shaft and completed construction in 1899. Henry and Bessie Smith purchased the home in 1922 and turned it into an inn for travelers charging just $1.50 a day for a room and meals. Now owned by the Welch family, who have operated the dining room since 1946, providing three generations of exceptional service and gracious hospitality, The Smith House holds true to its heritage with many of the original recipes and ambience still intact.