The Wort Hotel
The idea for the hotel originated with Charles J. Wort, a homesteader who came to Jackson Hole in 1893. In 1915, Charles Wort bought four parcels of land for $25 per lot in what is now downtown Jackson, Wyoming. The land was adjacent to a livery stable and was used as a horse corral for seven years. From 1932 to 1940, the Wort family operated what is now Signal Mountain Lodge while they began construction on their dream, a luxury hotel in downtown Jackson. The original construction costs topped out at around $90,000, an investment that inspired great skepticism in the local community—until it opened in 1941 and quickly became the place to be, for both locals and out-of-towners.
In 1950, the Silver Dollar Bar was added, including the famous serpentine bar, built by a German cabinetmaker and featuring 2,032 uncirculated silver dollars from the Federal Reserve in Denver. Tragically, on the afternoon of Tuesday, August 5, 1980, locals watched in horror as wisps of smoke and flames leaped from the hotel roof. A bird’s nest sitting too close to a transformer had touched off one of the worst fires in Jackson history. But only days after the fire, a sign went up saying "We will be back." And so it was. In June 1981, the Wort reopened, and on September of 2001 the hotel celebrated its 60th birthday. Today The Wort Hotel is often referred to as "The Heart and Soul of Jackson Hole."
View this video to learn more about The Wort Hotel.