Boar's Head Resort

View our
special offers

Discover Boar's Head Resort, which was built from a gristmill that survived the march through Charlottesville during the Civil War.

Boar's Head Resort was constructed in the years leading up to the Civil War, when many settlers from around the world began expanding into the Old American West.

In the 1730s, the inn property was the site of Terrell's Ordinary, a modest inn where westward travelers stayed the night. By the 1960s, the Ordinary was but a memory. In its place was the quintessential Virginia inn.

The heart of Boar's Head Resort was built from the timbers of an abandoned gristmill along the banks of the Hardware River, which dated back to 1834. The relocation of the mill was an opportunity to preserve and transform a treasured Virginian artifact. It had survived burning despite the orders of Generals Grant and Custer during their march through Charlottesville in the Civil War. Indeed, it had continued to operate some 60 years after the war's end. The old mill was carefully dismantled and reconstructed piece by piece at the present site of the inn. The original fieldstones, heart pine beams and planks, and massive grist stones are now prominently featured throughout the Boar's Head. Today, the heart of the Boar's Head Resort is the Old Mill Room, whose time-worn timbers recall the original mill. Outside, millstones are visible reminders of the building's proud past.

Boar's Head Resort was purchased in 1988 by the University of Virginia Foundation. Since that time, the University of Virginia Foundation has invested almost $20 million to renovate and continually upgrade the inn. For 20 years, Boar's Head Resort has received the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award. Since Shakespeare's day, London's Boar's Head was synonymous with good food and warm hospitality, a tradition maintained today in the foothills of this Blue Ridge Mountain inn at Boar's Head Resort in Charlottesville, Virginia.

  • About the Architecture +
    The heart of Boar's Head Resort was built from the timbers of an abandoned gristmill along the banks of the Hardware River, which dated back to 1834. The relocation of the mill was an opportunity to preserve and transform a treasured Virginian artifact. It had survived burning despite the orders of Generals Grant and Custer during their march through Charlottesville in the Civil War. Indeed, it had continued to operate some 60 years after the war's end. The old mill was carefully dismantled and reconstructed piece by piece at the present site of the inn. The original fieldstones, heart pine beams and planks, and massive grist stones are now prominently featured throughout the Boar's Head. Today, the heart of the Boar's Head Resort is the Old Mill Room, whose time-worn timbers recall the original mill. Outside, millstones are visible reminders of the building's proud past.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Partners

  • HHW Logo
  • NTHP Logo
  • AA Logo
  • WHHA Logo
  • STE Logo