The Inn on Ferry Street

View our
special offers

Discover the Inn on Ferry Street, which is comprised of six gorgeous historical buildings that were built as homes in the late 1800s.

The Inn on Ferry Street, a member of Historic Hotels of America since 2009, dates back to 1886.

VIEW TIMELINE

The Inn on Ferry Street was constructed at a time when the United States was defined by great economic prosperity, industrial expansion, and significant social reform.

The East Ferry Avenue Historic District is significant for it’s turn of the century, upper class residential streetscape illustrating a variety of architectural styles popular from the 1880s through the first decades of the twentieth century. Ferry Street first appeared in the records in 1874, named after Dexter M. Ferry, seed merchant and president of the DM Ferry Seed Company which had nurseries further east on Ferry Avenue, East Ferry Avenue was not developed until late in the 1880s, after a subdivision was platted in 1886 and lots were sold.

Although D.M. Ferry never did build himself a house on this section of East Ferry Avenue, he succeeded in subdividing his land and selling off lots subject to special building restrictions. All buildings had to be single dwelling houses, built of brick, stone or hollow tile with cement face construction, set back 40 feet from the sidewalk, not to be erected within three feet of the side lot line and to cost no less than $7,000. Mr. Ferry made all the lot improvements and in addition, paved the avenue and had water, gas pipes and sewers laid. By compelling uniformity, he expected to develop the handsomest avenue in the city. The six historic buildings that are a part of The Inn on Ferry Street were all purchased by the Merrill-Palmer Institute, an educational institution nationally known for its pioneering work in the fields of child development and family life. Eventually the homes collectively came under ownership by the Detroit Institute of Arts in the 1970s and remained so until the renovation of the buildings began in February 2000 for The Inn on Ferry Street.

  • History Mystery +
    Which hotel is comprised of six elegant Victorian homes in Midtown Detroit, built between 1886-1892? If you guessed The Inn on Ferry Street (1886) in Detroit, Michigan, you guessed correctly! Located in the East Ferry Street Historic District of Midtown Detroit, The Inn on Ferry Street sets the standard for elegant Victorian guest quarters and dedicated service. Four restored Victorian homes and two carriage houses abound in sophisticated luxury make up this inn. The six historic buildings that are a part of The Inn on Ferry Street were all purchased by the Merrill-Palmer Institute, an educational institution nationally known for its pioneering work in the fields of child development and family life. Eventually the homes collectively came under ownership by the Detroit Institute of Arts in the 1970s and remained so until the renovation of the buildings began in February 2000 for The Inn on Ferry Street. The Inn evokes a strong sense of history that provides the perfect atmosphere for weddings, receptions, and other social events.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Partners

  • HHW Logo
  • NTHP Logo
  • AA Logo
  • WHHA Logo
  • STE Logo