a sign on a brick wall

History

Discover Best Western Mariemont Inn, which was among the largest Mariemont Company buildings and designed by architects Zettle and Rapp.

Best Western Mariemont Inn was constructed during the “Roaring Twenties,” in which flappers, the radio, and the Art Deco movement defined the age. Among the largest buildings constructed by the Mariemont Company, this three-story, timber and brick historic inn in Cincinnati was only half of the architect’s original design. Architects Zettle and Rapp designed the building in the shape of a “V,” with the main entrance at the apex, and began construction on April 20, 1925. The two wings, one on Wooster Pike and the other on Madisonville Road, were to extend twice as far as they do today. Although no written explanation of this change can be found, cost was probably a factor. When it opened, the historic building had 58 guestrooms. Since it had no elevator, a few first-floor guestrooms were provided for those unable to climb the stairs, and a lift was later added.

Encouraged by its radical design and central location, the Mariemont Company relocated their offices into the present lobby area. The hotel section was intended to only be a small part of the whole building, with retail and office space occupying the main portion. The hotel section opened for business in 1929. The landmark Mariemont Inn advertised “lovely appointed” single rooms and suites, available by the day or for longer periods. The Mariemont Company retained ownership until July 1945, when it was sold for $125,000 to Lawrence Jones of Philadelphia, who had been leasing it since 1943. In 1962, it was sold again to its present owners. In the early 1980s, the hotel was established under the Best Western flag, where it still is today.

a sign on a brick wall

Hotel Timeline

Philanthropist Mary Emery established the Village of Mariemont as a nationally recognized model community designed to provide an attractive, well-planned environment for residents. The future Mariemont Inn was envisioned as a key component of the village center.

Architects Harry Hake Zettel and Edwin Rapp commenced construction of the Mariemont Inn. Designed in the Tudor Revival style, the building was among the largest structures developed by the Mariemont Company. The original plans called for a much larger V-shaped complex than was ultimately completed.

The Mariemont Inn opened as a 58-room Tudor-style hotel and community gathering place. The inn was intended to serve travelers, residents, and business visitors while reinforcing the village's pedestrian-oriented design. The Mariemont Company relocated its offices to the inn complex. In addition to hotel accommodations, the building housed retail and office space, making it a centerpiece of village life.

The Mariemont Company relocated its offices to the inn complex. In addition to hotel accommodations, the building housed retail and office space, making it a centerpiece of village life.

Philadelphia businessman Lawrence Jones began leasing the property from the Mariemont Company, marking the first significant transition in management.

Lawrence Jones purchased the Mariemont Inn from the Mariemont Company for $125,000, ending more than two decades of original ownership.

The inn was sold to new owners, initiating another chapter in its operational history while preserving its role as Mariemont's signature lodging establishment.

The property joined the Best Western system while maintaining its historic Tudor architecture and independent character.

The Mariemont Inn was inducted into Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

The Village of Mariemont received designation as a National Historic Landmark, further elevating the historical importance of the inn and its surrounding community.

The inn underwent an extensive two-year renovation and modernization program. Historic Tudor features, original fireplaces, artwork, and architectural elements were preserved while guest rooms and public spaces were upgraded.

1923
1925
1926
1929
1943
1945
1962
1980s
2003
2007
2008
The Architecture

Among the largest buildings constructed by the Mariemont Company, this three-story, timber and brick historic inn in Cincinnati was only half of the architect’s original design. Architects Zettle and Rapp designed the building in the shape of a “V,” with the main entrance at the apex, and began construction on April 20, 1925. The two wings, one on Wooster Pike and the other on Madisonville Road, were to extend twice as far as they do today. Although no written explanation of this change can be found, cost was probably a factor. Encouraged by its radical design and central location, the Mariemont Company relocated their offices into the present lobby area. The hotel section was intended to only be a small part of the whole building, with retail and office space occupying the main portion.