Castle Hill Resort and Spa

View our
special offers

Discover Castle Hill Resort and Spa, which was the vison of Allen Miller Fletcher, who served as Vermont’s Governor from 1912 to 1915.

Castle Hill Resort and Spa was constructed at the dawn of the 20th century, in which the United States had started to emerge as a global superpower.

The historic Castle Hill Resort and Spa exemplifies the vision of Allen Miller Fletcher, who served as Vermont’s Governor from 1912 to 1915. Despite his work and business interests in Indiana and New York, Fletcher was drawn to the Vermont of his ancestors. In 1881, he built a summer home in Proctorsville and in 1897, added more property in the adjacent Cavendish.

At the turn of the century, Fletcher commissioned architect S. F. Page of Fehmer and Page from Boston, to bring his vision to life. The English Cotswold style construction included the most advanced technology available at the time. This historic home was the first in Vermont to be fully wired for electricity and equipped with an elevator. Nickel plated faucets, that could accommodate a hose in the event of fire, were installed on each floor. The primary construction material of gneiss stone, which was quarried on property, along with hand-carved California redwood, added distinction to this historically innovative resort. European craftsmen worked for five years to create the elaborate detailing that exudes old world elegance and charm. The companion carriage house, which currently encompasses the resort’s award winning Aveda spa, was built using a traditional New England style shingle construction. The integrity and design of the mansion and the spa have been carefully preserved and are both listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The grounds bring distinction and charm to this historic Northeast property. Upon arrival, guests are first greeted by the beautiful gardens which have been maintained, as designed, in the original landscape blueprint. The property’s landscaping was drafted by Frederick Law Olmsted Jr., son of legendary landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted.

  • About the Architecture +
    At the turn of the century, Fletcher commissioned architect S. F. Page of Fehmer and Page from Boston, to bring his vision to life. The English Cotswold style construction included the most advanced technology available at the time. This historic home was the first in Vermont to be fully wired for electricity and equipped with an elevator. Nickel plated faucets, that could accommodate a hose in the event of fire, were installed on each floor. The primary construction material of gneiss stone, which was quarried on property, along with hand-carved California redwood, added distinction to this historically innovative resort. European craftsmen worked for five years to create the elaborate detailing that exudes old world elegance and charm. The companion carriage house, which currently encompasses the resort’s award winning Aveda spa, was built using a traditional New England style shingle construction. The integrity and design of the mansion and the spa have been carefully preserved and are both listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Partners

  • HHW Logo
  • NTHP Logo
  • AA Logo
  • WHHA Logo
  • STE Logo