Le Pavillon Hotel

View our
special offers

Discover the Le Pavillon Hotel with its blend of New Orleans charm, elegant interior craftsmanship with early 20th century detail.

Le Pavillon Hotel was constructed at the dawn of the 20th century, in which the United States had started to emerge as a global superpower.

Original construction on the 10-story Le Pavillon Hotel located on Poydras at Baronne began in 1905. The hotel was turned over to Mr. Justin Denechaud in 1907 and was known as the New Hotel Denechaud until 1913 when new owners renamed it the DeSoto Hotel. The hotel quickly became a luxe hot spot, and numerous dignitaries entered the hotel for grand balls and political purposes as well as the grandeur and privacy always offered at Le Pavillon Hotel.

Records indicate that, during the years of Prohibition, an underground tunnel led from the hotel to a building a block and a half away, evidently “in case of emergencies”—and for discreet VIP passage. The penthouse suite was the original home of the first radio station in the city, WDSU, from 1928-1948. New owners acquired the hotel in the early 1970s and named the hotel Le Pavillon. The French name seemed befitting, as the land was purchased from France more than 200 years ago from Jean Bienville, founder of New Orleans.

The new owner focused on developing Le Pavillon into an outstanding showplace for the city. The search began in Europe, yielding many of the furnishings gracing the halls today, including the massive exterior columns and oversized sculptures carved by Italian artisans to the owner’s specifications. The 11 glistening lobby crystal chandeliers were purchased in Czechoslovakia, along with the matching sconces. The various paintings and furnishings such as the marble railings came from the lobby of the Grand Hotel in Paris. These details reinforce historic Le Pavillon Hotel’s turn-of-the-last-century roots, but in all other ways the hotel is firmly rooted in the 21st century.

  • About the Architecture +

    "Original construction on the 10-story Le Pavillon Hotel located on Poydras at Baronne began in 1905. The hotel was turned over to Mr. Justin Denechaud in 1907 and was known as the New Hotel Denechaud until 1913 when new owners renamed it the DeSoto Hotel. The hotel quickly became a luxe hot spot, and numerous dignitaries entered the hotel for grand balls and political purposes as well as the grandeur and privacy always offered at Le Pavillon Hotel.

    Spectacular Czech crystal chandeliers cast a heavenly, golden glow, illuminating the fine statuary, American and European antiques and artwork in the room."


Image of Historian Stanley Turkel, Historic Hotels of America Image of Stanley Turkel's Book Built To Last: 100 Year Old Hotels East of the Mississippi, Historic Hotels of America.

Guest Historian Series

Read Guest Historian Series

Nobody Asked Me, But...


Hotel History: Le Pavillon Hotel (1907), New Orleans, Louisiana*



By Stanley Turkel, CMHS



The Le Pavillon Hotel was originally the New Denechaud Hotel which was designed by architects Toledano and Wogan and built by the New York firm Milliken Brothers. It opened in January 1907 with 217 rooms and was known as the "Belle of New-Orleans". It achieved heights of elegance and innovation with the first hydraulic elevators and electric lighting ever to be installed in New Orleans.



Toledano and Wogan were very active in the first decade of the 20th century, designing three major new hotels in New Orleans, all of which are still in operation. The largest and best known was the Grunewald, now the Fairmont Hotel, built in 1908. The firm also designed the original building for the Monteleone Hotel on Charles Street in 1910.



Manager Justin Denechaud's father, famed hotelier Edward Francis Denechaud, had operated the Hotel Denechaud on Carondelet and Perdido streets from 1884 until his retirement in 1902. Upon opening of the New Denechaud Hotel, the senior Denechaud's nearby Carondelet Street destination closed its restaurant and became a European plan hotel known as The Inn.



In 1913, new owners changed the name of the New Denechaud to the De Soto Hotel. Through wars, prohibition, and the Great Depression, the De Soto Hotel received international acclaim as one of the grandest and finest in the world. During the prohibition years, an underground tunnel led from the hotel to a building block and a half away, in case of "emergencies" needing discreet VIP passage. The penthouse was the home of New Orleans's first radio station WDSU from 1928 to 1948.



In 1970, ownership of the hotel passed into a new hands, and a major restoration project was undertaken. Crystal chandeliers from Czechoslovakia, marble floors from several locations, marble railings from the lobby of the Grand Hotel in Paris, spectacular Italian columns, and statues have found a home at the Le Pavillon. Topping it all is the rooftop pool and patio, the perfect place for a refreshing swim with a spectacular view of the Crescent City. To complete the renaissance of this living legend, the hotel was renamed Le Pavillon.



On June 24, 1991 Le Pavillon was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of Interior. It is a member of Historic Hotels of America and has been the recipient of AAA Four-Diamond award since 1996.



*excerpted from his book Built To Last: 100+ Year-Old Hotels East of the Mississippi



*****



About Stanley Turkel, CMHS



Stanley Turkel is a recognized consultant in the hotel industry. He operates his hotel consulting practice serving as an expert witness in hotel-related cases and providing asset management an and hotel franchising consultation. Prior to forming his hotel consulting firm, Turkel was the Product Line Manager for worldwide Hotel/Motel Operations at the International Telephone & Telegraph Co. overseeing the Sheraton Corporation of America. Before joining IT&T, he was the Resident Manager of the Americana Hotel (1842 Rooms), General Manager of the Drake Hotel (680 Rooms) and General Manager of the Summit Hotel (762 Rooms), all in New York City. He serves as a Friend of the Tisch Center and lectures at the NYU Tisch Center for Hospitality and Tourism. He is certified as a Master Hotel Supplier Emeritus by the Educational Institute of the American Hotel and Lodging Association. He served for eleven years as Chairman of the Board of the Trustees of the City Club of New York and is now the Honorary Chairman.




Stanley Turkel is one of the most widely-published authors in the hospitality field. More than 275 articles on various hotel subjects have been posted in hotel magazines and on the Hotel-Online, Blue MauMau, Hotel News Resource and eTurboNews websites. Two of his hotel books have been promoted, distributed and sold by the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (Great American Hoteliers: Pioneers of the Hotel Industry and Built To Last: 100+ Year-Old Hotels East of the Mississippi). A third hotel book (Built To Last: 100+ Year-Old Hotels in New York) was called "passionate and informative" by the New York Times. Executive Vice President of Historic Hotels of America, Lawrence Horwitz, has even praised one book, Great American Hoteliers Volume 2: Pioneers of the Hotel Industry:



  • “If you have ever been in a hotel, as a guest, attended a conference, enjoyed a romantic dinner, celebrated a special occasion, or worked as a hotelier in the front or back of the house, Great American Hoteliers, Volume 2: Pioneers of the Hotel Industry is a must read book. This book is recommended for any business person, entrepreneur, student, or aspiring hotelier. This book is an excellent history book with insights into seventeen of the great innovators and visionaries of the hotel industry and their inspirational stories.”

Turkel was designated as the “2014 Historian of the Year by Historic Hotels of America,” the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. This award is presented to an individual for making a unique contribution in the research and presentation of history and whose work has encouraged a wide discussion, greater understanding and enthusiasm for American History.



Works published by Stanley Turkel include:



Most of these books can be ordered from AuthorHouse—(except Heroes of the American Reconstruction, which can be ordered from McFarland)—by visiting www.stanleyturkel.com, or by clicking on the book’s title.



Contact: Stanley Turkel



stanturkel@aol.com/917-628-8549

Sign up for our Newsletter

Partners

  • HHW Logo
  • NTHP Logo
  • AA Logo
  • WHHA Logo
  • STE Logo