Napa River Inn

View our
special offers

Discover the Napa River Inn, built on the last vestiges of Napa City’s Main Street industrial commercial center. Today those buildings anchor the Napa River Inn.

Napa River Inn was constructed at a time when the United States was defined by great economic prosperity, industrial expansion, and significant social reform.

Capt. Albert E. Hatt bought the property in 1895 to store goods in warehouses and constructed a wharf on the Napa River in 1897 for his own steamship shipping business. When the shipping business slowed, Napa Valley agriculture shifted from farming to grape harvesting. The wharf fell into disuse as the wine business began to grow into the booming California industry it is today. History abounds in the Hatt and Embarcadero Building, which was the former site of the original Embarcadero and home of two Banner warehouses (1862) and later used for wine storage. The plaza was built from original warehouse and street bricks and cobblestones and is decorated with colorful mosaic tiles depicting Napa River scenes.

The last vestiges of Napa City’s Main Street industrial commercial center, the Hatt/Napa Mill Buildings serve as anchors for the connected Napa River Inn and surrounding buildings. The area originally housed warehouses for storing grains, seeds, coal, and animal feed. In 1886, the Hatt Buildings housed a second-story skating rink, outfitted with extravagant (for the time) tongue-and-groove White Rock maple planking imported from Chicago. Hatt Hall’s interior rooms (noted for their pressed-tin wall coverings and moldings) were popular public gathering places. Recently restored, the buildings still function as event and meeting places. In 2000, the Hatt buildings and the historic Napa Mill became the upscale Napa River Inn located within the 2.5-acre entertainment complex by the Napa River.

  • About the Architecture +
    "The last vestiges of Napa City’s Main Street industrial commercial center, the Hatt/Napa Mill Buildings serve as anchors for the connected Napa River Inn and surrounding buildings. The area originally housed warehouses for storing grains, seeds, coal, and animal feed. In 1886, the Hatt Buildings housed a second-story skating rink, outfitted with extravagant (for the time) tongue-and-groove White Rock maple planking imported from Chicago. Hatt Hall’s interior rooms (noted for their pressed-tin wall coverings and moldings) were popular public gathering places. Recently restored, the buildings still function as event and meeting places. In 2000, the Hatt buildings and the historic Napa Mill became the upscale Napa River Inn located within the 2.5-acre entertainment complex by the Napa River. The Napa River Inn has 66 rooms, many with fireplaces, river views, and balconies. "
  • Ghost Stories +
    "The first ghost sightings when the hotel opened were visions of a woman. A woman in a white dress, who seems to be searching, looking for someone. Maybe it is Margaret, so much in love with her husband, perhaps trying to stop him from taking his life. In another story occurring in the guest room above Sweetie Pies Bakery, a guest tells of hearing a heavy dress sway down the hall and the door opens in room 208 then shuts. The guest then heard what sounded like a man's footsteps. A door at the other end of the hall in room 207 opened then closed with force. Next, the guest heard walking down the hallway toward room 208. The guest sees nothing. Could this be Margaret and Albert Jr.?"

Sign up for our Newsletter

Partners

  • HHW Logo
  • NTHP Logo
  • AA Logo
  • WHHA Logo
  • STE Logo